- Clarifies the foundational concepts of Precision Medicine, distinguishing this field from its predecessors such as genomics, pharmacogenetics, and personalized medicine.
- Gathers the chief conceptual advances in the fields of genetics, pathology, and bioinformatics, and synthesizes a coherent narrative for the field of Precision Medicine.
- Delivers its message in plain language, and in a relaxed, conversational writing style, making it easy to understand the complex subject matter.
- Guides the reader through a coherent and logical narrative, gradually providing expertise and skills along the way.
- Covers the importance of data sharing in Precision Medicine, and the many data-related challenges that confront this fragile new field.
Preface. Chapter 1. Introduction: Seriously, What is Precision Medicine? Glossary References Chapter 2. Redefining Disease Causality Section 2.1 Causality and Its Paradoxes Section 2.2 Why We Are Confident that Diseases Develop in Steps Section 2.3 Cause of Death Section 2.4 What Is a Disease Pathway? Section 2.5 Does Single Event Pathogenesis Ever Happen? Glossary References Chapter 3. Genetics: Clues, Not Answers, to the Mysteries of Precision Medicine Section 3.1 Inscrutable Genes Section 3.2 Inscrutable Diseases Section 3.3 Recursive Epigenomic/Genomic Diseases Section 3.4 Why a Gene-based Disease Classification Is a Bad Idea Glossary References Chapter 4. Disease Convergence Section 4.1 Mechanisms of Convergence Section 4.2 Phenocopy Diseases: Convergence Without Mutation Section 4.3 The Autoantibody Phenocopies Section 4.4 Pathway-Directed Treatments for Convergent Diseases Glossary References Chapter 5. The Precision of the Rare Diseases Section 5.1 The Biological Differences Between Rare Diseases and Common Diseases Section 5.2 Precision Medicine's First Benefit: Cures for Rare Diseases Section 5.3 What the Rare Diseases Tell Us About the Common Diseases Section 5.4 Treatments for Rare Diseases are Effective Against the Common Diseases Glossary References Chapter 6. Precision Organisms Section 6.1 Modern Taxonomy of Infectious Diseases Section 6.2 Our Genome Is a Book Titled "The History of Human Infections" Section 6.3 Inflammatory Diseases: Collateral Damage in the War on Human Infection Section 6.4 Revising Koch's Postulates in the Era of Precision Diagnostics Section 6.5 Diseases-in-waiting Section 6.6 Precision Taxonomy Glossary References Chapter 7. Reinventing Diagnosis Section 7.1 The Principles of Classification Section 7.2 Superclasses Section 7.3 Classifications Cannot Be Based on Similarities Section 7.4 The Horrible Consequences of Class Blending Section 7.5 What Is Precision Diagnosis? Glossary References Chapter 8. Precision Data Section 8.1 What Are the Minimal Necessary Properties of Good Data? Section 8.2 Data Identification and Data Deidentification Section 8.3 What Do We Do With Non-quantitative, Descriptive Data? Section 8.4 Incredibly Simple Methods to Understand Precision Medicine Data Section 8.5 Data Reanalysis: More important than the Original Data Analysis Section 8.6 What Is Data Sharing, and Why Don't We Do More of It? Glossary References Chapter 9. The Alternate Futures of Precision Medicine Section 9.1 Hypersurveillance Section 9.2 Do It Yourself Medicine Section 9.3 Eugenics Section 9.4 Public Health Section 9.5 The Data Analyst of Tomorrow Section 9.6 Fast, Cheap, Precise Clinical Trials Section 9.7 Animal Experimentation Glossary References